Monday, June 02, 2008

2008 June Message

  Thank you very much, everyone. Living here in Hawaii, I sometimes discover the unexpected. I didn't know until I came here that I could experience the four seasons in tropical Hawaii. I never expected the mornings and nights to be cool in the summer and the days short in the winter.

  Through my everyday life, I am often overwhelmed by the beauty and magnificence of nature. Among my favorite views are the mountains as seen from the intersection between Kahekili and Likelike Highways, the sea from Kualoa beach which is a ten-minute drive from my home, and the splendid rainbows that can be seen here and there. Without living here, I would not be able to appreciate nature to the fullest. I appreciate God for giving me this opportunity.

  "Change" is a very important principle for the world of natural growth. Through change, we can savor our life and increase our joy and happiness of living. Conversely, it is only natural that things which do not change will decline or be eliminated. Dr. Masaharu Taniguchi taught as follows in his book, For Young People, “Running water does not become stale: water that stagnates putrefies.” (p. 36)

  In Seicho-No-Ie we consider "change as a chance." When change occurs, we will see person “A” who considers it a good opportunity to grow and person “B” who thinks it uncomfortable or undesirable. It goes without saying which person will progress. Of course, there are things that should never change. The teaching "Man is a child of God" never changes. However, the way to worship God is a peripheral aspect that can be changed according to people, time, and place. Practicing this is in line with the will of God.

  I believe all of you readers of this newsletter understand this matter clearly; I would like to ask you to take it as a springboard for SNI Hawaii Missionary Area's further development and do your best both in seeking the Truth and propagating the teachings.
In the midst of writing this message, I went to a bank near Matlock Center, where the following words on a white board caught my eyes : “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” As I left the bank, I felt this message by Andre Gide, French Nobel Prize winner in literature, fits our situation well.

  Dr. Masaharu Taniguchi always had a dream and showed us how to live the Seicho-No-Ie way of life. And this "path" on how to live the SNI way of life in this day and age is being shown by Rev. Seicho Taniguchi, President of Seicho-No-Ie, and Rev. Masanobu Taniguchi, Vice President of Seicho-No-Ie.

  One of the important teachings that Dr. Taniguchi showed us throughout his entire life is not to speak ill of others. (See Truth of Life, Vol 7, Chapter 4) It also includes not to harbor ill thoughts of others in your mind. I believe you are always smiling, seeing the positive side of others, and praising and blessing those points. The more you practice this principle in your life, the happier you yourself will become and that pleases those around you. It is a good advertisement for Seicho-No-Ie. When those who praise and bless each other come to our Services, the atmosphere of our Services will be cheerful and bright, so that even the man-off-the-street will want to come and join us.

  We will observe the 23rd Memorial Service for Dr. Masaharu Taniguchi at Jisso Center on June 15th. We invite you all to attend. Thank you very much.

No comments: