Friday, September 22, 2006

Global Environment

Today's morning paper,"International Herald Tribune," reported that California is suing the world's six largest auto makers for environmental damage caused by emissions from their vehicles. The United States' government is notorious for NOT enthusiastic on preserving global environment, but I know many of U.S. municipalities have already started to tackle with this problem. I understand that California is leading this drive very well.

I suppose not only auto companies but also petroleum companies need to ponder future- oriented energy sauce seriously because there is a consensus that oil peak is just around the corner. There is an example. I have heard that Shell in Japan, a branch of International oil major, The Royal Dutch/Shell Group, launched a solar panel business for individuals and a salesman recently visited my home to brief on photovoltaic generation system. I am now positively thinking about the installment of the system.

Not to mention, global environment problems are one of the most critical issue that people in the world have to tackle with hands in hands. Emissions of green house gases have been increasing year by year. Experts expect if the world surface temperature would raise by two centigrade compared to the one before Industrial revolution, ice of Arctic Ocean will start to melt, and it will have a catastrophic impact not only on the climate but also the fate of humankind.

According to a simulation performed by a Tokyo based giant computer, Tadahiro Mitsuhashi, a Japanese top-notch environmentalist says that the world surface temperature is considered to reach a dangerous level unless much more measures than we now have taken will not be done.
(continued)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Abe-san,

Hello, there! This is Masaru Yamanaka. Thank you very much for your comment to my blog!

It's amazing you've started your blogs, written not only in Japanese but also in English! It encourages me to have an English blog, too. So, I've decided to start another blog of mine written in English. I'm sure it will help me to improve my English ability.

I've also read the article in the International Herald Tribune which you've refered to here. I really hope those trends help solve the global environmental problem.

Masaru Yamanaka

Tetsuya Abe said...

Dear Yamanaka-san,

Thank you very very much for your warm message on this site. I am really glad to see that. As you mentioned, I believe keeping an English blog encourages and helps me to improve my ability. Telling the truth, I've kept an English diary for about a year, therefore, I decided to make public what I have in mind in English. However, the comment by Rev. Yamaoka, Chief of Information Deparment, that a blog can be a medium of propagation stimulates me to set up a Japanese blog.

Anyway, let us promote this International Peace by Faith Movement powerfully hands in hands.

-TA