Saturday, September 30, 2006

India and China

I was really really encouraged by the picture of big wind turbines and the article titled "India and China catch the wind" on the September 27th issue of International Herald Tribune. According to the story, Suzlon Energy, a wind turbine manufacture of India, is now on the list of Top five in that field worldwide and expanding rapidly abroad. I have heard that Indian people and industries are suffering from high costs of electricity and blackouts. For example, I was once pretty surprised to see a soccer game of India and Japan, an official match certified with FIFA, was interrupted by the blackout for thirty or forty minutes a few years ago.

"Wind power may still have an image of as something like of a plaything of environmentalists more concerned with clean energy than saving money. But it is quickly emerging as a serious alternative not just in affluent areas of the world but in fast growing, energy-starved countries like India and China," said the reporter, I think it is a good tendency for those countries like BRICs, which refers to Brazil, Russia, India, China and are rapidly economically developing, to acknowledge the effectiveness of using free, clean resources.

I guess countries like U.S., Japan and European countries should make a contribution to help these drives, but I suppose enough political efforts have not yet been seen especially in Japan and the U.S. A few days ago, a new Abe administration in Japan launched. However, I was really disappointed with the lack of any signs to take care of global environment in his policy speech. I do not oppose he focuses on the national security and ponders how to shape our country, but it is common sense that security is closely connected with resources and environment. Without solving the environment problem, there is no future with our country, I think.

To tell the truth, a week ago, I contracted with Shell in Japan to set a solar panel at home. It is a very expensive equipment, but I hope it be a great step to stimulate an environment preserving movement furthermore.

No comments: