Thursday, August 31, 2006

English Education in Primary School

In Japan, the passion of learning English is surging these days. Especially Eiken or TOEIC is getting more popular. A few years ago, Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology announced that they were preparing to introduce English education to elementary school in Japan. However, unfortunately, I think it won't work well. Why?

First of all, I don't think there are enough native English speakers who are qualified to teach English in school in Japan. To speak English and to teach English is a very different cup of tea. For example, I have once learned English at a famous English Conversation School, but I could not encounter excellent teachers there. I think teaching English as a second language is required many skills and patience.

Secondly, there are many things that students should learn at elementary school, while learning hours are getting limited. If you add English education to current curriculums, students cannot have much time to learn Kanji or reading skills of their mother language, or Japanese, and other subjects. If you do not get reading comprehension at an early stage of life, you cannot be a person of use when you grow, especially in a global arena.

On the other hand, it is true that you have advantages to learn English at primary school. Through learning English, students can understand there are many cultures and languages in the world. This kind of experience can help students nurture international mindset where they can accept different values. In the long view, I believe it helps prevent conflicts and promote mutual understanding throughout the world.

As for me, I want to have my two-year-old daughter (today is her birthday!) take English lessons as early as possible. When I have time, I am supposed to read English picture books to her with CD.

Taking situation surrounding English education and elementary school into consideration, I now cannot agree with introducing English class to elementary school at this time. However, when things are arranged properly, we should go ahead without hesitation.

6 comments:

mario said...

Since I left Japan so many years, I have no argument about this subject. My concern is actually how I can effectively teach my daughter Japanese. By the way, happy birthday to your daughter.

Tetsuya Abe said...

Dear Rev. mario,

Thank you very much for your comment.

>> My concern is actually how I can effectively teach my daughter Japanese <<

Does it mean, you think you need to teach Japanese properly to your youngest daughter, or all three daughters? At any rate, it is hard to master multiple languages wherever you live, isn't it?

>> happy birthday to your daughter <<

I will convey her your kindness very well.

And congratulations on setting up you and your daughter's English blog! I sense her English is surely one of a native speaker. Please say hello to your all family members.

Thank you very much!

Tetsuya Abe

mario said...

>Does it mean, you think you need to teach Japanese properly to your youngest daughter, or all three daughters?<

My youngest daughter needs to spend more time to emarse herself to listening to Japanese. She understands Japanese, but that is not enough for her. My other dauthers can speak and listen to Japanese as well as read and write it like the Japanese. I expect my youngest daughter the same thing.

Tetsuya Abe said...

Dear mario-sensei,

Thanks for your reply. That's almost exactly what I imagined. She may feel some adversities to completely master two languages, but I believe "You Can Do It!"

Tetsuya Abe

Anonymous said...

Hello Tetsuya,

Your blog is an absolute pleasure! It not only provides a sneak peak into your life but also educates your readers and compels them to think!

I have added your Blog as a Favorite!

Tetsuya Abe said...

Dear Saee-sensei,

Welcome to my blog and thank you very much for your warm message! The fact that I was taught by you at the correspondent course and passed a first stage test of Eiken 1st grade encouraged me to decide to set up my English blog, because it is very challenging. Thank you, indeed, and please make another visit when you have time. I am going to update issues of various fields.

Tetsuya